Sunday, January 2, 2011

Eating Central: Nick's Family Restaurant


Years, and years and years ago...ok, maybe 7 years or so, I wanted to start a project where I ate at every restaurant up and down Central Avenue in St. Petersburg. Wanted to go from Bay to Gulf checking every place out. Then I would write about it and try and sell it to the newspaper.

This quest never happened though. Every once in a while I think about it, but never act on it. You see, I am not really a writer...and I wasn't really sure on how to do it anyway...but now, I have this new wonderful medium and I am going to start eating Central.

So what better place to start than Nick's Family Restaurant. Why? Well I have eaten breakfast there almost every Sunday morning for a couple of years. It is a restaurant where a patron is totally comfortable....

... I must qualify that. If a person walks in off of the streets, maybe not so comfortable. But once you know the staff and the food it is as if you are having dinner at a family members house. I always like it when the staff knows you and your family, and when you sit down 3 cups of coffee magically appear in front of you.

The food is nothing super special...but it is super special. It is home cooking where you won't find any crazy. A patron knows what to expect and what they will get EVERY TIME....and that is something.



Pictured above is my weekly Sausage Omelet...now the empty space is where the potatoes are supposed to be, but I ate them already. Our table has the same order almost every Sunday....My omelet, my wife gets the Farmer Omelet (no Green Peppers, but with Tomatoes)...my daugter and Mom get eggs with bacon and ham respectively.

Other than the breakfasts I have had the Turkey Rueben (sucker for Kraut I am) and we have gotten the wraps and soups and salads. We have always been pleased. And the more comfortable we get, the better the food. This is a place we will be back to many, many, many more times.

No comments:

Post a Comment