Thursday, February 24, 2011

BBQ/Crock Pot Chicken

"Don't play with your food!"

Those are famous words of parents everywhere....well I am a parent...and I say "Play with your food". Or in the least bit, experiment with it. Where is this all going? Well several years ago I made a Chicken Wing thing by broiling the wings and then finishing them in a crock pot. The memory of these wings got me to thinking the other day....

If this worked for wings...why not with these buy one get one free packs of drumsticks and thighs?...and instead of broiling them before the crock pot I will cook them on the Weber...yes that is it. That has got to be good


I thought this was a good idea, so that is what I did.




I took 4 drumsticks and 4 thighs and salted and peppered them....



The sauce was a combination of:
1 18 oz bottle of BBQ sauce ( I used KC Masterpiece)
1/4 cup honey
Regular old yellow mustard
Worcestershire Sauce
Tabasco



I tossed the chicken on the grill and cooked it about 15 minutes....I kept turning it trying to crisp up the skin a little. (doesn't really matter when you are putting it in the crock pot for 5 hours). Transfer to crock pot and cook on LOW.....for five hours...

LOW: That is the key..I had it on high and the chicken dried out. Thighs? Who can dry out a thigh? Well I can I guess....



It doesn't look very appetizing does it? I did not think so either. Well, my wife said it was ok...that is all that matters I guess. Next time I need to remember to put the crock pot on low....maybe the results will be different....

No comments:

Post a Comment